Windows, windows sills and blinds are easy to overlook. By the time you remember to clean them, they may be a ton of unwanted dust accumulated on the blinds. Now that you see the dust bunnies, you are now committed to cleaning your blinds and fast. Do not worry, cleaning the blinds can be quick and easy with the right action plan.
What You Will Need:
- Blind Duster
- Vacuum Upholstery Attachment
- Cleaning Vinegar
- Microfiber Cloth
- Liquid dish liquid
Clean your blinds the fast way
- Close your blinds and use the microfiber cloth to clean from the top left corner to the right working all the way down. If you have horizontal blinds, use the same method just going up and down. Use your free hands to hold the blinds at the bottom tightly and slightly away from the window.
- Use the vacuum upholstery attachment and remove any leftover debris from the blinds.
- If there is residue on the blinds, then you will have to perform a wet wipe. Mix equal parts of vinegar, water and a few squirts of liquid dish detergent such as dawn. Then, use microfiber cloth and the solution to hand wipe the residue from the blinds.
- Last, go over the blinds with a rag to make sure the blinds are no longer wet.
- Open the blinds and allow for them to dry.
My blinds are filthy, what can I do?
If you have not tended to your blinds in the last 3- 6 months, then there may be caked up grit on the blinds. A little bit more elbow grease may be needed in order to clean this sort of situation. Depending on the amount of time you want to spend, you may consider hiring a deep cleaning service to perform the task for you.
If you have the time to clean the blinds, then here is a quick guide to clean filthy blinds.
- No need to stress. Fill your bathtub with warm water and liquid dish soap such as dawn.
- Remove the entire blind and set in the bathtub and allow to soak for up to an hour.
- Wipe down the blinds in the water with a microfiber cloth.
- Prepare a drying area in your home either with a large cloth or large plastic covering.
- Allow blinds to dry.
- Hang the blinds.
Rules for blind cleaning: The yay’s and nay’s
Avoid simple mistakes that will cost you time and a headache when cleaning your blinds.
Below are some yay’s and nay’s of blind cleaning.
- Nay: Do not put a wet rag on dusty blinds. Dust and wet solutions are not a great mix. Dust first.
- Nay: Freshening your home is great, but air fresheners near blinds are not a great fit. Using a product such as air freshener near your blinds will actually cause build up and residue.
- Yay: Plan to dust your blinds once per week. Dusting once per week will help to prevent build up.
- Yay: Always dust first. Dusting first, helps to remove any dust before cleaning the blinds with a wet solution.